The number of vegans in Britain has risen by 360% in just 10 years. With 542,000 people adopting a vegan diet, 42% of which are aged between 15 and 34. Veganism is the practice of abstaining from the use of animal products. A vegan diet excludes meat, seafood and dairy, as well other foods produced using animals, such as honey, wines, beer and cider filtered using animal products.
The vast majority of vegans live in urban or suburban areas 88% compared with rural areas of only 12%. And 22% of all vegans in Britain live in London. Leicester's very own veggie and vegan group has over 1k members showing its growing popuality within the area.
Veganism was once seen as an extreme, restrictive eating regime, but attitudes are changing. And the ethical and environmental benefits of the diet may be a driving factor. It's becoming increasingly accessible to be vegan, with more vegan options in supermarkets and on restaurant menus.
The Exchange offers a number of vegan options on the menu;
- Breadsticks - our pizza dough transformed into breadsticks served with your choice of oils to dip into
- Soup of the day - served with toasted ciabatta
- Cheeseless pizza
- Chilli avocado, sun-dried tomato & rocket in a lightly toasted ciabatta served with a side of salad
- Vegan Afternoon Tea
- A selection of vegan flapjacks
- Blue Monkey Bottled Beer (also gluten free)
- Pablo Walter Malbec and Ca'di Ponti red wines
You don't have to be vegan to enjoy our plant-based food selection. Next time you visit The Exchange why not try some of our vegan delights and let us know what you think..